My Life (nobody else would want it!) |
|
|
Idle thoughts in the life of an IT Professional that's married with children. My Profile Map of Countries I've Visited Other blogs that I write: The Wine Spot WhineSpot (co-hosted) Other Blogs that I read: My Life (by Karen) Carrie's Blog A Nichol's Worth (Patti) Points to Ponder My Life in Paradise (Curt's Blog) poopee shmoopee's blog BostonBlueEyes (Colin's blog) LQ's Blog, Moo Alex Simon of Space Mark's Regular Life Trucker Bob's Blog Shared pain is lessened Shared joy is multiplied
Archives
Visitors:
|
Thursday, August 05, 2004
Thursday! Payday is ALMOST as good as Friday! I'm pretty beat today as I was in early to download patches, install and reboot all the servers out here in the "Off World Colonies" as I like to call it. So, in Curt's blog, he tells you about some of the stupid help calls he gets. Let me tell you one of mine from yesterday: I get a call that a user changed her name (married), and now can't get her MS Outlook (email) to work. The helpdesk tried and tried to help her get it fixed but to no avail. I go out there, and immediately see her email's working fine. Worker: Oh, this one works, but I wanted Outlook XP Me: Huh? We put Outlook 2000 and Office 2000 on your PC. Worker: But my boss was here, and started to download Office XP from our website, but I think it was taking too long (he was installing, not downloading over a slow link) and he cancelled it in the middle of the install. (so now, Office XP is partly installed, and majorly screwed up) Worker: Want me to get my boss on the phone? Me: SURE! *wicked smile* Me: Hello XXX, I understand you tried to install some software out here? Boss: Oh yeah... but it was taking forever so I cancelled. Me: Why WERE you installing Office XP? Boss: Oh, I'm developing an application that... (I cut him off here. He's NOT an application developer) Me: And this application REQUIRES Office XP? Boss: Well, no.. but it seems to work better with it... (can you say BULLSHIT?) Me: Why not call IT? It IS our job after all? Boss: I guess so.. I just thought it'd help...... Me: (cutting him off) I'll make a deal with you. I won't try to help you do your job, you don't help me do mine! *chuckling on the phone* Boss: Ok.... sorry (that bang he heard was me slamming down the phone after saying bye) Worker: Oh please don't get my boss in trouble..... Me: Only if he does it again (then I proceed to spend 2.5 hours fixing his screw-up The weather's finally turned, and it's actually COLD out this morning! A cold front came through, and the high today and tomorrow MAY reach 70! What weird weather. Vadergrrrl, sorry to hear your brother has to go to Iraq... lets hope he's there a short time and comes home safe and sound. Well, another busy day ahead... I have a one on one meeting with a new Assistant Vice President today, just to discuss the state of things. That should go well I hope, but he seems to be a pretty good guy. And now, the news not fit for print: There's a job opening in London for a Court Jester! Oh this is too weird... Excuse me honey. I am going to be pruning this tree with a chainsaw while you work in the garden right below me. What could possibly go wrong? Wow... Kobe Bryant's accuser may drop the case! ABOUT TIME SLUT! Leave it to Norway... One baby, two heads! I just love this headline: Plastic cow stolen, feared drowned This is pretty interesting. The 2003 White House Gift List There's just too many today... so let me give you headlines from some of them: Study finds Boston is the worst city in America in which to drive. Study cites confusing street layouts, congested highways and Red Sox fans leaping off of bridges Donald Duck turns 70 this year and is now getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Still doesn't wear pants If you're going to rob a sex shop, don't fill out an employment application beforehand Los Angeles rejected proposal to require fortune tellers, psychics to get licenses. Plan wasn't protested because outcome already known Kids build homemade cannon, take it outside and load it with a steel ball. What could go wrong? Unbeknownst to owner, rooster takes 45-minute ride in undercarriage of car, comes out unscathed. That's one cock with balls of steel 'Tigger' found not guilty of fondling girl after Disney character fondling photos presented in court Merry jokester gets on PA system of a Carnival Cruise Lines ship at 3:45am to tell 1,000 passengers to "abandon ship." Hilarity ensues For the ladies...the boyfriend pillow. Doesn't snore or fart and has 'vibrating arm action' And that's, the rest of the story..! Till the next wave...... |