My Life (nobody else would want it!) |
|
|
Idle thoughts in the life of an IT Professional that's married with children. My Profile Map of Countries I've Visited Other blogs that I write: The Wine Spot WhineSpot (co-hosted) Other Blogs that I read: My Life (by Karen) Carrie's Blog A Nichol's Worth (Patti) Points to Ponder My Life in Paradise (Curt's Blog) poopee shmoopee's blog BostonBlueEyes (Colin's blog) LQ's Blog, Moo Alex Simon of Space Mark's Regular Life Trucker Bob's Blog Shared pain is lessened Shared joy is multiplied
Archives
Visitors:
|
Thursday, September 30, 2004
Please God, let this be a quiet day.. I've had enough excitement in work this week to last a lifetime. The server is back up and running, the PC's are back in the people's hands that I had a problem with on Monday (thanks to Aaron), and hopefully no excitement today! That said, I have to mention about what Bubba posted in yesterday's comments (and I'm having a hard time not crying I'm laughing so hard). I went down to Tennessee to help Bubba install a new server many moons ago, and in the process, I'm showing him how "RAID", or (Redundant Array of Independent Drives) works. Basically, it's a way to make (3 or more) drives look like one drive, with the idea that even if one drive fails, your data will be safe as (example of 4 drives) 3 drives will have the data on them, and one will have a "checksum" on it, adding up the data blocks, placing a sum on the disk of the first 3, so that if one dies, by having that checksum, you can recreate automatically, the failed drive. Now, I've done this MANY times before.... just yank a drive from the RAID array, and the server keeps on going, with no loss of data. Another example. The data in block 1 in the first 3 drives is 1, 2, and 3. The checksum is 6. If drive 2 fails (minus the 2), the computer figures that 1 + 3 = 4, so block 2 must be 2. Things work differently in Tennessee. I pulled out the drive, and literally, the shit hit the fan. I looked at Bubba, he looked at me and asked "Dave, is it supposed to do that?" (speaking of all the alarms going off on the server). Hours and many embarassing moments later, we had the server back up and running.... but not before making a mental note NEVER to do that again. And now, the news not fit to print: Want to see some STUNNING photography? Go to this page, and scroll to the bottom and choose either the color or B/W gallery Here's something just for you Aaron... The Coffee Universe! Oh, Aaron... maybe we should build a Furby SuperComputer! For all you roller coaster nuts... World's fastest, tallest roller coaster will reach 128 mph and rise 456 feet off the ground (with photo) 2004 Neiman Marcus Christmas book, include a $10 million zeppelin, a $1.7 million winged submarine, and jeweled Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head figurines at $8,000 apiece From my state: You mean you CAN'T land a helicopter in your own backyard?? The Ultimate Dilbert House! And now for a funny..... The top 10 (or 11) reasons you just saw porn on my screen: 11. Wanted to get some names for people we should pray for this week. 10. You weren't supposed to be back from lunch until 1. 9. I'm studying to be an Ob-Gyn. 8. Making a list of sites to block the kids from going to. 7. Doing research for the "Tom Cruise or Gay Porn" quiz. 6. I wanted to make sure I was doing that right. 5. Just making sure our daughter hadn't fallen in with the wrong people. 4. I had to visit this page to gain access to a warez site. 3. Typo when trying to google "rough kinky corn". 2. I was reading the articles. 1. I'm just verifying that I'm not gay, again. Have a great Thursday! |