My Life (nobody else would want it!)

Idle thoughts in the life of an IT Professional that's married with children.

My Profile


Map of Countries I've Visited


Other blogs that I write:

The Wine Spot

WhineSpot (co-hosted)


Other Blogs that I read:

My Life (by Karen)

Carrie's Blog

A Nichol's Worth (Patti)

Points to Ponder

My Life in Paradise
(Curt's Blog)


poopee shmoopee's blog

BostonBlueEyes (Colin's blog)

LQ's Blog, Moo Alex

Simon of Space

Mark's Regular Life

Trucker Bob's Blog



My Current Weather

Click for Bristol, Connecticut Forecast



My favorite saying:

Shared pain is lessened Shared joy is multiplied






This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Visitors:
Wednesday, March 02, 2005
 
Another Day of Snow... *groan*

Yep, we got about another 2-3 inches of snow last night.. just enough to make it real slippery this morning.

More on Costa Rica:
For the first 3 days, it seemed life in Costa Rica went like this. Get up, shower. Breakfast, pool, lunch, pool, dinner, drinks by the pool, with lots of trips to the pool-bar in between *chuckling*. 90 degree weather was very condusive to drinking and swimming. Me and the bartender were on a first name basis on the first day.
On Wednesday, we went to do the "Canopy Tour", meaning we ride from tree to tree in the rainforest, on wire cables while in harnesses. Now me, that's DEATHLY afraid of heights, was very worried about this. We went to a place called The Buena Vista Lodge, at the base of the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano (active).
We got into our harnesses, then hiked up the side of a mountain to the first platform (there's 11). After some brief instructions, I got up on the platform, and was amazed that the next platform was about a hundred feet away, and the average height above ground was about 15 feet. Piece of cake I said as I slid from one to the other.
THEN... I saw the second platform to third. About 200 feet, where the ground fell away very steeply to probably 100 feet down or so. I was beginning to get worried, and starte tensing up. The guy hooked me up, and I swung across, trying hard not to look down. At the next platform, I looked ahead to the next one, and almost fell to my knees. It was about 400 feet across, and you couldn't even see the bottom.
Everyone else was having great fun, and I was starting to see my fears unfold before me. I asked if there was another way, and was told I'd have to go to the 4th platform to reach the "air bridges", or tree to tree walkways. I tried to concentrate on the next tree, without looking down... and slid to the next platform. I knew now things were getting out of control, as my forearms were hard as stones, and my legs were shaking quite badly as were my hands. I had to do one more wire before quitting, so I gutted it out (it's a lot harder than you think, when you're deathly afraid of heights) and made it to the 4th platform. From there, I asked to go the way of the bridges. My wife would have gone with me, but she had already slid to the next platform, so I set out on my own. At this time, I began to see even the air bridges wouldn't be easy. They too, were very high, and swung a lot, depending on how you walked. It was slow going, and I had to keep concentrating on the next tree as it was just as far down as the zip lines, but I felt a bit more in control. After quite a long hike, I made it to the bottom. It took me quite some time to get over the feelings from up on the platforms.

Oh, and if you're a REAL thrill seeker, you can try the harder platform ride. It's 1.56 miles long, the highest platform is at 300 feet, and the largest distance of the cable among platforms is 2,400 feet with a great speed for adrenaline lovers
Good freaking luck.

After that, we rode down a HUGE waterslide, that was so incredibly fast and out of control it was definitely a thrill ride. After a fantastic lunch, we headed out on horseback to the Spa, where you spend time in a volcanic heated steam room, then cover yourself in volcanic mud, let it dry, rinse it off and dip into 5 pools of inreasingly cooler water (first one is 107 degrees). By the time you're done, you're VERY relaxed!
It was a good day.... though I wish I wasn't so afraid of heights.. it would have been much more fun for me.

More tomorrow.

And now, the news:

Here's something for you Aaron...
Bored NASA employee creates U.S. Beer Drinking Team. "He quickly obtained the domain name and whipped up a site while drinking a couple of beers"

Anna Nicole Smith brings her class act to Australia, asks "where are the damn f*cking kangaroos?" (does that picture look like her to you?)

Baby / if you ever wondered / wondered about the DVD / I'm sad to say that you won't see it / no DVD of WKRP

From Star Trek, to Real Tek. Creating a Cloaking Device!

Today's warped teacher having sex with a student.. Teacher arrested for having sex with a student, while her two-year old sits in back seat

Hey Aaron... ROAD TRIP!
Bubba the 22-pound lobster is thought to be older than television, Arizona

And that's the news for today. Have a great Wednesday!