My Life (nobody else would want it!) |
|
|
Idle thoughts in the life of an IT Professional that's married with children. My Profile Map of Countries I've Visited Other blogs that I write: The Wine Spot WhineSpot (co-hosted) Other Blogs that I read: My Life (by Karen) Carrie's Blog A Nichol's Worth (Patti) Points to Ponder My Life in Paradise (Curt's Blog) poopee shmoopee's blog BostonBlueEyes (Colin's blog) LQ's Blog, Moo Alex Simon of Space Mark's Regular Life Trucker Bob's Blog Shared pain is lessened Shared joy is multiplied
Archives
Visitors:
|
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
Post 651 And the snow fell.... Well, we're getting whacked today wtih from 5-12 inches of snow! It's the thick, heavy snow that's hard to clean off the roads, and hangs on power lines and trees causing damage and outages. I have a feeling work is going to be deserted today. It was a nice weekend, Friday night, our friends Ray and Debbie asked us to go bowling with them and their daughter and her boyfriend. Now, I used to bowl on a league about 18 years ago, but haven't bowled a frame since. Ray had kidded that the week before, he had gone with his daughter and her boyfriend, and one game didn't even make 100. Well, the pressure was on me! *LOL* The first game, (and you can't even cheat, all scoring is electronic), I had 84 in the 9th frame, looking like I wasn't going to make 100 when I got a spare, and a 6 fill to just make 100! WHEW! The second game, my arm started to feel like it was going to fall off tossing my 16 pound ball down the lane. I just squeaked by with a 101! *LOL* All in all, it was a great time.. but the next day I felt sore all over from not using those muscles. Oh well... I'm feeling a lot better today.. *chuckle* New Years Eve, our friends Dave and Tina came over, and we made some munchies, and watched "Deuce Bigelow, European Gigolo" which was hilarious! I never saw the first one, but this one had us roaring. We rang in the new years watching Dick Clark (did he look awful or what), and a great time was had by all. Oh, and it also snowed about 6 inches on New Years Eve, making travel a mess. Luckily, for the first time in many years, there were no fatalities on the road both for the Christmas and New Years holiday weekends. Sunday, we went over to have cake for my mom's birthday (it's today), and just hung around.. not a busy day. Yesterday was more of the same. How was your weekend? On to the news: A very cool pic of a Space Shuttle at the exact moment a sonic boom occured When I was researching the "People who died in 2005", I read some of the bio's of the people. Check out the bio for James Doohan (Scotty). It's absolutely amazing. Did you know he was a Canadian, a war hero, and lost a finger in the war? Man arrested for doing 207Km/h (128 Mph) in his Lamborghini Diablo said he couldn't feel the speed in the vehicle (yeah, I'd use that excuse) Now this is cool: The Paper airplane simulator And lastly, Bootleg copy of 2006 Hooters calendar (SFW) (This next one brings back memories) And a dialogue, between a young lady and Ray and Tom, automotive Q&A for a newspaper somewhere: Q: I am writing you at my dad's request. Recently, my boyfriend offered to change the oil in my car for me. I have a 1992 Olds 88 in very good condition (180,000 miles). Up until now, my dad has maintained it. My boyfriend charged me $45 for parts and nothing for the work. He said most of the cost was to refill the fluid levels in the headlights. When I informed my dad of this, he called me an idiot and told me not to see this boy ever again. When I asked why, he said to write to you guys. I don't understand. My boyfriend said he used the "halogen" type fluid, which is supposed to be better than the standard type. What did I do wrong? Melissa Tom: Gee, I don't know, Melissa. My brother tops off my headlight fluid all the time, and he usually charges me more than that. Ray: Actually, there are two possibilities here, Melissa. One is that you misunderstood what your boyfriend said. Perhaps instead of saying he replaced the "fluid levels in the headlights," he actually said he took care of the "fluid levels AND the headlights." That would be perfectly reasonable. Tom: Yeah. You can get halogen bulbs for that car; they cost about $50 for a pair. Add that to the oil and filter, and your boyfriend's actually losing money on the deal. Or getting you very good prices. Ray: The other possibility is that he's a criminal, and you should dump him and never speak to him again. Headlights don't require any fluid. And if he's willing to lie to you for $45, imagine what he'll do if he ever gets within sniffing distance of your bank account. Tom: So, ask him again what he did to your car. Tell him you're not sure you heard correctly. If he says "fluids and headlights," give him a big kiss and thank him for being such a good boyfriend. Ray: If he says "fluid IN the headlights," or tries to get another $45 out of you to put red fluid in the taillights, dump some itching powder in his undershorts and don't look back, Melissa. Have a great day all...! |